Minutes

AGM 2017

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/Wg9WQ3lZdg8035npRnLhMYPz6CAYCzVLOA52VQHv51CtyUAmfWrSgjsXr59qCqAHUgecQgqexEjbbzCuZcCqJr_9ps-d7ldzqiGixralIrCaqNyeB7WqMQASFZZaJDPgVIfiDJmL

Board of Directors Meeting Agenda

Committee:

Of the Whole

Meeting Date:

March 11, 2017

Committee Chair:

Jacob Pruden

Time:

13:00 MT

Board of Directors:

Kory Howard

George Frost

Tony Nguyen

Deanna Black

Brendon Barton

Location:

Foote Field, University of Alberta

Committee Members (non-voting):

Lee Gould

Meeting Recorder:

Deanna Black

Attending

Heather Grout

Taylor Stienwand

Kathleen Inman

   

#

Item

Summary

Action(s)

1

Call to order/Determination

of quorum

J. Pruden called the meeting to order at 13:00 MT and noted that quorum was apparent.

J. Pruden invited meeting participants to declare any conflicts of interest.  None were declared.

 

2

Approval of agenda

On suggestion from Monica, seconded by Mike C. the March 11, 2017 AGM agenda was presented.  CARRIED.

 

3

Approval of the minutes of AGM, 2016.

As the 2016 AGM minutes were not available for all participants to review this item was brought forward to the next meeting.

2016 AGM minutes to be reviewed at upcoming meeting.

4

Introduction of Special guest:

CJ Omroth to speak regarding the performance of the AKA’s investments.

CJ Omroth discussed the purpose of investment with an overall increase by $3000 since August 2014.  Which is within reason given the marked dropped 20% in 2015 and rose 15-20% in 2016.  Funding is through IClarington.  Typical 10 year cycle with 7 years profit and 3 years defecit.

Bursary rollout is expected to be ready soon dependent on the # to be provided, the $ per bursary and the criteria to be established to be in receipt.

Board to discuss bursary criteria and possible amounts.

5

Self introduction

All Board Members introduced themselves, provided a brief history of their experience and outlined their goal for their current position.

 

5.1.2

  • Privacy Policy update.

  • Implications: sharing member information with third party payers and possibly others.

  • Legal advice.

  • Submitting the annual societal return.

J. Pruden confirmed that with the assistance of a not for profit attorney the AKA privacy policy is being established for future use.  This is expected to become beneficial for future use such as third party payers for services provided.

 

5.1.2

  • Bylaws need updating

J. Pruden confirmed that our bylaws are to undergo a review with updating to be completed.

Committee to be established to review this.

5.1.3

  • Insurance

  • Requirement under CKA

  • Difficulty with purchasing

  • Let us know when there are problems

J. Pruden confirmed that at this time in order to be a member in good standing insureance coverage is required.  Multiple members appear to have had difficulty with the AKA site directing members to the insurance link, however this is anticipated to be fixed.  

Review of members to be completed and reminder to any members who have not yet purchased insurance.

5.1.4

Silkstart/ Website feedback.

Any changes you would like to see to the registration process?

All AKA members in attendance were asked for feedback on the new AKA site.  Overall response was positive.

 

5.1.5

CKA presidents meeting about  vision 2020 February 23, 2017

   

5.1.6

Annual societal return filing.

   

5.2

Treasurer

K. Howard

 

5.2.1

  • Account Balances

Review of current budget with all members in attendance.  Upon review of present budget it was agreed at the recommendation of Will W. to increase the marketing budget to $3000.  Voted upon with unanimous agreement of all members.

Will W. also recommended to add the additional administrative position to be dependent upon grant revenue of $40,000 ($20,000 for the first year).  Motion carried.


 

5.2.2

  • Audit 2015/2016

5.2.3

  • Budget 2017

5.3

Membership

D. Black

 

5.3.1

  • Introduction

  • Current member numbers in each category

198 active members – 29 are new members

6 inactive members

14 student members

Appears to be a trend with late renewals with 75 remaining.

 

5.3.3

  • CPE audit update.

  • Reminder: What is the process? (in case you weren’t selected for audit.)

Confirmed audit nearly complete.  Awaiting details from 3 members.  Overall process successful.  

When audited members receive a letter to confirm audit and how to complete, a letter to confirm receipt of audit details and a letter to confirm completion and results of audit.

 

5.4

Marketing

T. Nguyen

 

5.4.1

  • Self introduction

  • Social media posts/ other events so far

  • Plans for the upcoming year

Plan for meetings at various school institutions to engage and drive student membership.

Looking to facebook, twitter, etc. to promote AKA and its benefits.

Plan to use marketing funding to arrange for additional events.

Follow up with institutions to confirm dates of attendance.

5.5

Education

C. Neilsen / Heather Grout

 

5.5.1

  • Self introduction

  • AGM speakers.

  • Seeking input for events through the up coming year.

Thank you to AGM speakers for their time.

Request input from members on what they would like to see for future speakers or courses provided by AKA.

 

5.6

Secretary

Brendon Barton

 

5.6.1

  • Self introduction

  • Reaching out to Volunteers:

  • Treasurer position

  • Health act regulation committee.

  • Bylaws project

  • others?

Request assistance with development of a health act regulation committee.  Receipt of 2 volunteers to begin exploratory review.

Request for any members who would be interested in review of bylaws for update.

To follow up with volunteers regarding committee and establish a tentative schedule.

5.7

CKA

Jake Watson

 

5.7.1

  • Self introduction

  • CKA update

  • Kin week when should it be?

  • CKA Survey questions.

Provided update on CKA status and goals.  

Members completed group work surrounding what is valued with the AKA and CKA and what we would like to see.  General consensus of being better recognized, ability to bill third party, and increasing professionalism in line with physical therapy for regulatory body in the future.

J. Watson requested all members complete the CKA survery.

 

5.7

Administrator (Lee)

   

5.7.1

What is Lee’s role: Paid contractor overseeing all administrative functions

J. Pruden reviewed role oversee administrative functions including overseeing the AKA info email address and completing behing the scenes work.  Has allowed for board members to focus on required tasks and assisted to streamline various processes.

 

5.6

Technology

G. Frost

 

5.6.1

  • Succession planning.

   

6

Students

         

6.1

U of A

Kathleen Inman

 

6.1.1

  • Self introduction

  • EIM on U of A campus AKA Streaming speakers

Noted the benefit of an AKA presence on campus and would like to arrange for functions to drive student involvement.

To be further discussed with T. Nguyen regarding possible events.

6.1.2

  • What else is going on for students on campus?

6.2

MRU

Taylor Stienwand

 

6.2.1

  • Self introduction

  • AKA student event at MRU campus

Noted the benefit of an AKA presence on campus and would like to arrange for functions to drive student involvement.

To be further discussed with T. Nguyen regarding possible events.

7

Old business

All

 

7.1

Bylaws Committee Update

   

7.2.1

Registration Committee Update

   

7.3

Succession planning

J. Pruden requested that all board members maintain a record of work completed while in the role with instructions to allow for smooth transition should there be changes within the board.

 

8

New business

No new business was discussed

 

8.1

Disciplinary process: we need a temporary process until a proper one can be implemented. Suggest a three person committee be struck to investigate issues as they arise. Committee to present findings and recommendations to the board. Secretary to recruit?

J. Pruden reviewed the need of a temporary process until a proper one can be implemented. Suggest a three person committee be struck to investigate issues as they arise. Committee to present findings and recommendations to the board.

Secretary to recruit

8.2

Future direction of the AKA. Should we revisit our mission and vission?

How do we provide value for membership dollars.

Consensus to maintain our current mission and vision.

 

9

Add Hocks

No other business was discussed.

 

10

Next meeting date

Next meeting set for April 16, 2017.  Voting members of the board confirmed their availability.

 

11

Meeting adjourned

J. Pruden

 



 

Upcoming Events

Nam dignissim dolor est, ac blandit dolor pretium id. Proin eget massa id mi luctus mattis.