In order to be considered for an Active Membership in the Alberta Kinesiology Association, applicants must have completed a minimum of an undergraduate degree in exercise science (BSc Kin, BPE, etc) from an AKA recognized tertiary education institution. For international applicants, please see information at the bottom for further details.
Note: For a course to be included, you must have received a grade equal to or greater than a C- or (55%).
Applications must include PDF format of the following:
- Official (preferred) or unofficial transcripts of all institutions that are to be considered
- Scanned copy of your official degree - program completion letter can be accepted if prior to convocation date.
- Course Requirement Checklist - Must be typed and completed. If courses from multiple institutions are used to meet requirements, please indicate which institutions each course is from.
For further information, please check the "Requirements for Kinesiologist" page (found under FOR APPLICANTS tab) for Basic Requirements: Education and Continuing Professional Education.
The processing time for New Applications is 7-10 business days under normal circumstances - Due to COVID-19 expect a response within 15-20 business days for applications dated April 30, 2020 or later.
Please note the $50.00 Application Processing Fee is non-refundable.
Applicants who graduated greater than 10 years ago: Apply as normal, with the addition of proof of 50 PDCs within the last 5 years. Mature applicants are required to pay $100 for their application fee, as this will be a much more timely process to review. In order to apply as a mature student, please do the following:
1) E-transfer $50 (CAD): email@example.com
2) In your e-transfer, please add note: Mature Student Application Fee. NOTE: Once your e-transfer has been sent, a confirmation email will be sent within 2-3 business days.
3) Complete application process as normal (click "Apply Now" below), where you will be prompted to pay the remaining $50 fee through our website provider.
All documents must be in English, for those that are not, you must have them professionally translated. In addition, all academic records (high school and post-secondary) must undergo an " Educational - Tier 2" - International Qualification Assessment (IQAS) through Alberta Government in order to determine how your credits and credit hours translate. The purpose of this assessment is to determine the equivalency of your degree with respect to Canadian academia. Cost for this assessment is $100 CAD, plus courier fees, and is processed through the Alberta Government website. Once this assessment is complete, please click "Apply Now" and submit your IQAS in place of your international transcripts. Note: A copy of your degree and Course Requirement Checklist is still required.