General Policies and Principles
Our ability to provide services to members and users requires that we collect personal information during registration and at other times when services are utilized or requested by you. We implement measures to ensure the privacy and confidentiality of the information you provide are maintained.
Use of the Platform
In order to use some of the features of AKA's Platform, AKA may require that you provide some personal information. AKA may issue to you a unique "user id" which you will be required to provide each time you use certain features and services.
If you have a user id, then AKA may collect information about your use of the features and services (whether or not you provide your user id each time) and AKA may associate this information with your other personal information.
Our web servers collect the domain names, IP addresses and the activity of visitors. This information is aggregated for the purposes of measuring the number of visits, average time spent on the Platform, pages viewed, and other similar purposes. AKA uses this information to measure the use of the Platform and to improve the content of the Platform.
Links to Other Websites
The AKA takes responsibility for personal information in its possession and holds all third parties responsible for personal information that may be transferred to a third party for processing (such as information passed onto the AKA administrative support staff, the CKA approved group insurance provider for member liability insurance).
Choosing to Provide Personal Information
In using the Platform and in dealing with us you will have the ability to control the amount of personal information you are providing and therefore you may restrict the disclosure of your personal information by not providing your personal information to the Platform or us in the first place. If you choose to limit the personal information you provide, it may limit the manner in which you can make use of the Platform or otherwise interact with AKA or participate in services provided by AKA.
Personal Information Made Anonymous
To the extent that we make any of your personal information anonymous or we aggregate it with the personal information of others, then that information will no longer be considered to be personal information. Therefore, AKA will be entitled to use and disclose personal information in any manner that it desires provided the personal information has been rendered anonymous or aggregated where that information cannot be attributed to you.
Depending on the circumstances, your consent may be express or implied. Express consent would arise if you specifically consented to a particular dealing in your personal information. Express consent can be given orally, electronically or in writing. Implied consent can be inferred from the circumstances. For example, if we indicate that we may send certain correspondence to your home address and then you provide us with your home address in response, we would not normally obtain your explicit consent to use your home address to send you that correspondence, as your consent would be implied in those circumstances.
We will assume you consent to the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information for a particular purpose if you voluntarily provide the information for that purpose.
By submitting personal information to the Platform, you accept that the AKA may collect, use, retain, and disclose such personal information as described in and in accordance with this policy and as permitted by law.
You may change or withdraw your consent at any time on reasonable notice, subject to pre-existing legal and contractual obligations, by contacting AKA as set out above. If you withdraw certain consents, it may limit the manner in which you can make use of the Platform and to otherwise interact with AKA or your ability to continue to participate in programs and services offered by AKA. For clarity, your ability to change or withdraw consent is not absolute. AKA reserves the right to continue handling your personal information in those circumstances required or permitted by law despite a change or withdrawal of consent.
Opting In and Opting Out
AKA may, from time to time, provide you with an opportunity to opt out of certain collection, uses and disclosures of your personal information. At the same time, an implied consent to collect, use or disclose your personal information would arise if you fail to indicate that you wish to opt out of the particular collection, use or disclosure when you are given an opportunity to do so.
As well, AKA may, from time to time, provide you with an opportunity to opt into certain collection, uses and disclosures of your personal information. In that case, if you do not opt-in, AKA will assume that you do not consent to your personal information being collected, used or disclosed in that particular manner.
AKA will generally use an opt-out method when the particular use or disclosure is not unusual, the information is not particularly sensitive or when AKA believes that most people would likely consent to the particular use or disclosure. AKA will generally use the opt-in method in other circumstances.
In some instances, we may collect your personal information directly from a third party. In that case, we, the AKA, will generally either obtain your consent to do so or we will require that the third party confirm to us that they are entitled to disclose your personal information to us.
· Using identification information and contact information, such as your name and e-mail address to provide information about AKA when you request that information;
· using identification information and contact information, such as your name and e-mail address so that we can identify you and deliver the products and services, including the Platform, that you request and to communicate with you regarding those products and services;
· using payment method preferences and related financial information that you provide to us so that we can obtain payment for the products and services that you request;
· using information relating to your preferences so that we are able to deliver our products and services, including the Platform, to you in accordance with those preferences;
· using customer relationship information such as your service requests, instructions, comments and feedback to assist us in delivering products and services in accordance with your wishes;
· using personal information for the purpose for which it was provided and certain other activities that are reasonably ancillary to that purpose. For example, if you send us an e-mail with a question or comment, AKA will use your e-mail address to respond to you. Further, AKA may store your e-mail and e-mail address and a copy of our response for future reference;
· using your e-mail address to provide you with information about new features or enhancements to the Platform or new services or programs offered by AKA;
· analyzing your personal information to assist us in developing and enhancing our products and services and the Platform; and
· analyzing your personal information to assist us in conducting market analysis and strategic planning.
· Your personal information that you supply to the Platform will be disclosed in accordance with the description of disclosures as set out in the related documentation for the Platform or as may be readily apparent through the general operation of the Platform;
· AKA may disclose your personal information to third -parties for the purpose of confirming your membership status; and,
Other Collection, Use and Disclosure
As well, the law permits or requires the collection, use and disclosure of personal information without the knowledge or consent of the individual in a number of circumstances. We reserve the right to collect, use and disclose your personal information in these circumstances without your knowledge or consent as the law may permit or require.
Limiting Collection, Use, and Disclosure
Personal information will not be collected indiscriminately. The AKA will limit the collection of personal information to that which is necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it is collected. The principle of identifying the purposes for which personal information is collected is associated with limiting the collection to that which is necessary. The extent and type of personal information will vary depending on the type of service being requested.
If the AKA is compelled by law, court order, or other judicial process to disclose any of your personal information to a court, administrative platform, government agency, or other third party, the AKA will attempt to provide you with prior notice using any contact information you may have provided.
Retention and Destruction
For legal and business purposes we may retain your personal information for as long as it is reasonably needed. Upon expiry of the appropriate retention period, bearing in mind our reasonable legal and business requirements, your personal information will either be destroyed in a secure manner or made anonymous. You should be aware that there are legally required minimum retention periods, which AKA must and does observe.
Accuracy and Completeness
When we, the AKA, collects, uses, or discloses personal information, we, the AKA, will make a reasonable effort to ensure that it is accurate, up- to- date and complete. To do so, we AKA may need to request additional information from you or have you verified your information. If your personal information does change, we would appreciate it if you could inform us of those changes in order that your personal information in our possession remains accurate.
Personal information accessible through the website will be maintained in a form that is accurate, complete, and up-to-date as necessary for the purposes for which it was obtained. A notice for the updated information will be made annually for members at the time of membership renewal, other users are responsible for maintaining up-to-date personal and/or applicable business information. Updating personal information is the responsibility of the member or registered user.
Security of Personal Information
AKA recognizes its obligation to protect personal information in its possession and will make reasonable arrangements to secure that personal information against unauthorized access. These measures will be reasonable in the circumstance and may include providing access to only those individuals with a need to know the information, locked doors and/or filing cabinets and other physical and electronic security measures as well as contractual measures, such as non-disclosure or confidentiality agreements.
Requests for Access to Personal Information
On your written request we will provide you with:
· Access to your personal information (if any) under our custody or control;
· Information about the purposes for which your personal information under our custody or control has been and is being used by us; and
· The names of persons to whom, and the circumstances in which, your personal information has been and is being disclosed by us.
All requests may be subject to reasonable fees and disbursements. Where appropriate to do so, we may require advance payment of a deposit or the entire costs of responding to a request for access to personal information.
The AKA requires that all requests for access be in writing and be signed and dated by the requestor. AKA requires sufficient information and detail from the requestor in order to verify their identity, properly locate the information and respond to the request.
Limits on Individual Rights to Information
An individual's ability to access his or her personal information under our control is not absolute. AKA reserves all rights to not disclose personal information in certain circumstances. For example, we may not disclose personal information where:
· The disclosure could reasonably be expected to threaten the safety or physical or mental health of an individual;
· The disclosure would reveal personal information about another individual;
· The disclosure of the information would reveal confidential commercial information; or,
· The personal information was collected by us for an investigation or legal proceeding.
Requests for Correction of Personal Information
On request by you, we will correct errors or omissions in your personal information where that information is in our custody or control. We AKA requires that all such requests be in writing and signed and dated by you. We AKA may require sufficient information and detail from the individual in question in order to verify their identity, properly locate the information and respond.
If you make such a request, we will either:
· Correct the personal information and, if reasonable to do so, send correction notifications to any third party to whom we disclosed the incorrect information; or,
· Decide not to correct the personal information but we will annotate the personal information that a correction was requested but not made.
Corrections or amendments will rarely, if ever, be made to opinions, including expert or professional opinions, as opposed to factual information, which may be corrected if in error.
· Have any questions with respect to our privacy policies or practises;
· Have any questions with respect to our handling of your personal information;
· If you wish to request access to, or correction of, your personal information under our care or control; or,
· If you are dissatisfied with our handling of your personal information,
please contact the AKA’s Chief Privacy Officer.
AKA Chief Privacy Officer
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 4358, Edmonton, AB, T6E 4T3